1. I wanted to name my son Hannan (Compasionate)- I dont like to call him Abdul Hannan. Since its a quality if Allah, is it allowed. Can I keep his name Hannan.
2. Is Izhaan an arabic name? if yes whats the meaning of it. I was told that Izhaan comes from root word Zaheen (meaning – intelligent or genius etc). can this be kept as a muslim boys name.
3. Is it better to keep names after prophets- or is is better to name with a good meaning? What is best Islamically?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
The Messenger of Allah (Sallā llāhu ʿalayhi wa-sallam) has advised:
إِنَّكُمْ تُدْعَوْنَ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ بِأَسْمَائِكُمْ وَأَسْمَاءِ آبَائِكُمْ فَأَحْسِنُوا أَسْمَاءَكُمْ (ابو داود: 4948)
Translation: On the Day of Resurrection, you will be called by your names and by your father’s names, so give yourselves good names. (Sunan-Abu Dawood, Kitaabul Adab No.4948)
1. Hannan means very compassionate. Hannan is not a sole attribute of Allah Ta’ala. It is therefore correct to name your son Hannan without being preceded by the name Abdul.
2. Izhaan is an arabic word, which means intelligent or genius. Izhaan it is a suitable name.
3. Rasulullulah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) advised: احسنواسماءكم , keep beautiful names. If one keeps the names of the prophets, that will be an addition to a beautiful name.
Note: The name has an effect on the personality of the child.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Mohammed Akhtar ibn Hafiz Naeem Abdul
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.