I am a Muslimah. Can I give Dawah to a non-Muslim male?

I’m a muslimah (revert), alhamdulillaah … I got a call from someone I knew from my jahiliyya (male).. This person wanted to meet to share his problems and seek counsel since I knew him well .. I met him at a coffee shop close by (in open space, not in seclusion) and attempted to listen and help in the attempt of giving dawah to Islam … I did eventually advise him to seek professional marriage counselling and also advised him to consider seeking spirituality … Pls let me know if this was appropriate (islamically) or if i should stop .. and if there was another way to deal with this ..

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

May Allah keep you steadfast on Islam. Ameen

We are in constant battle with our nafs and Shaytaan. There  is a great possibility one may slip and fall into sin at any time. In the enquired situation, rather than meeting the person, you could have corresponded with him via email rather than meeting him in person. 

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Hafizurrahman Fatehmahomed 

Student Darul Iftaa
Netherlands 

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.