Wearing Minute Amounts of Gold

Answered according to Shafi'i Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Ustadh Farid Dingle is asked about the permissibility of wearing watches with minute amounts of gold on the face or the movements.

Question:

Assalam alaykum wa rahmat Allah wa barakatuh.

Islam forbids men from wearing any gold. Is it halal to wear a stainless steel watch with gold on the hands? What if there’s no gold on the outside of the watch, but there’s gold used in the inside movement of the watch? I heard even some smart watches use gold in the components.

I would like to know the Islamic point of view on these questions.

I’ve been thinking about buying a particular watch that has a small amount of gold on the dial, when no gold can touch the hand.

Answer:

Wa alaykum assaalam wa rahmat Allah wa barakatuh.

Dear questioner,

If the gold is only atoms think, which is often case, and it is such that a goldsmith could not extract any real among of gold from it, then it would be perfectly fine. (Bushra al-Karim)

If you ask the company, I’m almost certain that’s what they will tell you.

I pray this helps.

Farid

Checked and approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani.

https://seekersguidance.org/answers/hanafi-fiqh/13702/

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Find more answers indexed from: Seekersguidance.org