Leading the Taraweeh Salaah whilst sitting on a chair

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by TheMufti.com

Q. I had a leg injury whilst playing soccer. My Muslim doctor advised me to sit and perform Salaah for 4 to 6 Months; otherwise, my leg will not heal. I am now performing Salaah on a chair. I am a Haafiz Alhamdulillah and I lead Taraaweeh Salaah every year. Can I lead Taraweeh Salaah in this situation? I have been told that a person sitting on a chair and performing Salaah cannot lead a person standing and performing Salaah. Please advise.

A. A person sitting on a chair and performing Salaah (Moomi) cannot lead a person standing and performing Salaah (Qaaim). Accordingly, in the enquired situation, you have received the correct advice.

However, a person sitting on a chair and performing Salaah may lead another person sitting on a chair and performing Salaah. He may also lead a congregation in Taraaweeh Salaah or in any other Salaah if he is sitting on the ground (Qaaid) and leading the Salaah and not sitting on the chair and leading the Salaah. (Tahtaawi Ala Maraaqil Falaah 1/400/1)

In both of the above scenarios, the leading of the Salaah in this way will be valid.

Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

This answer was collected from TheMufti.com, which is a fatwa portal managed by Mufti Ismaeel Bassa from South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: TheMufti.com