Is it permissible for Muslims to attend the funeral of non-Muslims?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by TheMufti.com

Q. Is it permissible for Muslims to attend the funeral of non-Muslims? If my non-Muslim co-worker or neighbor passes away, can I as a Muslim attend their funeral? What are the limitations of Shariah?

A. In terms of Shariah, it is not permissible for a Muslim to attend the funeral of a non-Muslim as it entails customs and actions, which are of detriment to ones Imaan. However, there is no harm in giving moral support to the family and friends of the deceased and expressing one’s condolences without participating in the actual funeral or going to the church and graveyard. (Ahsanul Fataawa 4/243)

Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

This answer was collected from TheMufti.com, which is a fatwa portal managed by Mufti Ismaeel Bassa from South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: TheMufti.com