If I did not keep Ramadaan fasts at all in the past, do I have to keep 60 fasts for each fast?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by TheMufti.com

Q. If I did not keep Ramadaan fasts at all in the past, do I have to keep 60 fasts for each fast or each Ramadaan missed? How do I make up for it?

A. If one did not fast at all, then only one Qadha fast has to be made for each individual missed fast. In this case, there is no 60 days penalty.

The 60 days penalty is only if one kept the fasts and broke it without a valid reason in Shariah. Every time one fasts and breaks the fasts without a valid reason, 60 fasts consecutively will have to be kept as penalty as well as one Qadha fast. (Maraaqil Falaah 247)

Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

This answer was collected from TheMufti.com, which is a fatwa portal managed by Mufti Ismaeel Bassa from South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: TheMufti.com