Make up fasts first or expiation fasts?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Qibla.com

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

I have two different fasts that I need to do outside of the month of Ramadan. I have to make up my fasts I missed due to periods. I also have to offer an expiation of 60 days for having broken my fast in ramadan. Since I have to make the intentions, which fasts should I do first?

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I pray this finds you in the best of health and spirits.

In this case, the make up fasts are better to perform before the expiation (kaffara) fasts, because the former are obligatory (fard) and the latter necessary (wajib). [Shaykhzada, Majma` al-Anhur]

Please search for related answers in the SunniPath Answers (qa.SunniPath.com).

Faraz Rabbani

This answer was indexed from Qibla.com, which used to have a repository of Islamic Q&A answered by various scholars. The website is no longer in existence. It has now been transformed into a learning portal with paid Islamic course offering under the brand of Kiflayn.

Find more answers indexed from: Qibla.com