Income From a Business Started With Haram Wealth

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Shaykh Faraz A. Khan

Question: Assalamu alaykum

If I start a halal business with haram money (not halal mixed with haram but 100% haram money) and this money is a mixture of stolen money, money from interest and money acquired through other impermissible means, will the money I get from that business be halal or haram?

Answer: Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah,

I pray this finds you in the best of health and states.

One is not allowed to use and derive benefit from money obtained unlawfully. However if one did so and, for example, started a (halal) business with it, the earnings from the business will be lawful and permissible, even though the money used to start the business was obtained unlawfully.

However, the unlawful money must be returned to its rightful owners, or if not possible, the equivalent amount must be given away in charity without intention or expectation of reward.

One must also repent for the sin of taking unlawful wealth, and take the means to desist from such activities.

And Allah knows best.
wassalam
Faraz

Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.

Find more answers indexed from: Seekersguidance.org