University: Do I Shorten My Prayers?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Qibla.com

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

If I am to attend a university that is 60 miles from the border of my home town and stay there in an apartment 4 or 5 days of the week and then return home for the remaining 2 or 3 days, does qasr salaah become necessary at either location (according to hanafi fiqh)?

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Walaikum assalam,

In your home town, you would never shorten your prayers: you are always legally a ‘permanent resident’ there.

As for your university, you would be considered a resident if you intended to stay there 15 days (or more) without leaving. If you intend to stay less than that, then you would shorten your prayers if praying alone.

Wassalam,

Faraz Rabbani

This answer was indexed from Qibla.com, which used to have a repository of Islamic Q&A answered by various scholars. The website is no longer in existence. It has now been transformed into a learning portal with paid Islamic course offering under the brand of Kiflayn.

Find more answers indexed from: Qibla.com
Ad by Muslim Ad Network