I have four questions to ask:
1. Is it permissible to use toothpaste whilst in the state of Ihraam?
2. Is it permissible to brush the teeth while fasting?
3. Can a Haafizah lead other women like her mother, sisters, etc in the Taraweeh
4. Is a girl allowed to speak to the boy who comes to propose to her? If not do they confine to merely seeing each other?
- If the toothpaste has perfume and fragrance then its use in the state of Ihraam is not permissible. If anyone did so in Ihraam then Sadaqah must be given.
- To brush the teeth without using toothpaste is permissible and to use toothpaste is Makrooh (odious).
- No, because the Jamaat of females behind a female is Makrooh (odious).
- A girl is allowed to speak to the boy who comes to propose to her, provided the Mahram of the girl (brother, father, etc) or her mother, elder sister, etc also be there. However care should be taken that the boy and girl must not be left alone as it is Haraam for a strange male and female to be alone together.
And Allah Ta’ala knows best
Mufti Muhammad Ashraf
10 December 2004
27 Shawwal 1425