Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) placing his lips where ‘Aaishah (radiyallahu ‘anha) placed her lips

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

“‘Aaishah (radiyallahu ‘anha) took a sip of water and Rasulullah drank from where her lips touched”

What are the words of this Hadith and the reference?

Answer

Sayyidah ‘Aaishah (radiyallahu ‘anha) says, “I would drink something while I was in the state of menstruation. I would then hand the [vessel] to Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and he would place his mouth/lips on the same place that I placed my lips and I would eat meat off the bone while I was in the state of menstruation and then hand it to Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). He would place his mouth/lips on the same spot where I placed my mouth.”

(Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 300)

This Hadith is also recorded in the following sources with variation in the wording:

1. Sunan Abi Dawud, Hadith: 263
  2. Sunan Nasai; Al Mujtaba, Hadith: 279-280-281-282
  3. Musnad Ahmad, vol. 6 pg. 62

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Find more answers indexed from: HadithAnswers.com