Wine is the key to all evils

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

Which Hadith states that wine is the key to all evils?

Answer

There are a few Hadiths which mention this:

1) Sayyiduna Abud Darda (radiyallahu ‘anhu) reports, “My beloved companion (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) advised me, ‘Do not drink wine for it is the key to all evil.’”

(Sunan Ibn Majah, Hadith: 3371, 4034. ‘Allamah Busiri has declared the chain sound –hasan-. Zawaid Ibn Majah, Hadith: 1351)

2) Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Abbas (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) reports that Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: “Abstain from consuming wine, for verily it is the key to all evil.”

(Mustadrak Hakim, vol. 4 pg. 145. Declared authentic by Imam Hakim and Hafiz Dhahabi concurs)

Also see here.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Find more answers indexed from: HadithAnswers.com