Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Fatwaa.com » Child Breaking Fast in ramzan

Child Breaking Fast in ramzan

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Fatwaa.com

I am 33 years old. I remember once in my childhood (exact age not remeber may be 12 years or 14 years) i broke my fast in Ramadhan, i did not have any knowledge about Qaza and kaffara. Now should i keep kaffara 60 days fast or should i only 1 qaza or any other advice.

Answer

Wa’alaykum as Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

If you are sure that you broke this fast after reaching the age of puberty, then you will need to keep one Qadha plus 60 fasts for Kaffarah. If you were fourteen, then according to the lunar calender you would be Baaligh.

If you are doubtful on whether you reached the age of puberty or not, it will be best to still keep the Qadha and Kaffarah.

If you really think that you were not Baaligh (12 or lower), then you do not have to keep anything.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best

Wassalaam,

Ismail Moosa (Mufti)

This answer was collected from Fatwaa.com which is an excellent Q&A site managed by Mufti Ismail Moosa from South Africa. .