Confused about divorce

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Fatwaa.com

Aoa.
1) I want to ask if a wife is not happy with husband and couldn’t give him love but rather she uses vague excuses to get divorce like ur mother did that and ur sis did that. Now a husband issues 3 divorces is a divorce valid?

2) If a wife and husband is having argument on something and wife asks for divorce but husband refuses then wife says tmhai meri kasam hai ‘swear upon me’ give me divorce and he issues 3 divorces? Is this divorce done?

Answer

Wa’alaykum as Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Yes, in both instances, the divorces are valid. The fact that the wife lied or imposed has no effect. The husband was at liberty to verify, and he was not compelled to just issue the divorces based on the wife’s statements.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best

Wassalaam,

Ismail Moosa (Mufti)

This answer was collected from Fatwaa.com which is an excellent Q&A site managed by Mufti Ismail Moosa from South Africa. .

Find more answers indexed from: Fatwaa.com