Query_Of_Son_name_Aswad

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Fatwaa.com

Assalam alaykum,

My name is Ajaz, I live in U.S.A.
Alhamdolillah I had boy (10 months old) and i put name “Aswad” ,
I saw online that there were 40 sahabas R.A named Aswad thats why I kept my son name Aswad.
But recently on one journey I met one mufti saheb and he said, I should not keep son name Aswad. There is no such He show (Mufti Saheb) any sahabah name Aswad. He mentioned its just color name and He advised to change name of my son.
So I am asking you What should I do.?
Should I change my son name or keep it same..?
Is there any sahabah R.A name Aswad or not..?

Please reply,
Jazakallah Khair.
Ajaz

Answer

Wa’alaykum as Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

As you have correctly mentioned, there were close to 40 Sahaba with the name Aswad. Allamah Ibn Hajar (may Allah be pleased with him) named at least 35 in his Usud al-Ghabah. Even after the Sahaba, there were many scholars of Hadith with the name Aswad. Thus, it is a good name and you do not have to change it.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best

Wassalaam,

Ismail Moosa (Mufti)

This answer was collected from Fatwaa.com which is an excellent Q&A site managed by Mufti Ismail Moosa from South Africa. .

Find more answers indexed from: Fatwaa.com