Wife does not want to visit my parents

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Fatwaa.com

Aslm moulana I would just like some advice. I go twice in a week for supper to my parents because they have requested from me to do so. My wife is now asking if she and the children can only come once a week while I can go the second evening without them. I would still like for her to come twice but she is adamant on her decision saying that it is getting tiring. I told her that I will take the kids with me but she has declined saying no one will look after them. I would just like the Islamic ruling regarding this. Jazak-Allah

Answer

Wa’alaykum as Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

The husband cannot force his wife to visit his parents, especially if she is already accompanying the husband once a week. The husband should be understanding in this regard.

Whilst the husband has the right of taking the children twice a week, the couple should look at what is in the interest of the kids.

If there really isn’t anyone who will look after the kids, then the kids should stay at home with their mother, and if there is no problem as such, then in this case the wife will have to compromise.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best

Wassalaam,

Ismail Moosa (Mufti)

This answer was collected from Fatwaa.com which is an excellent Q&A site managed by Mufti Ismail Moosa from South Africa. .

Find more answers indexed from: Fatwaa.com