- Utensils made from gold or silver
- Utensils made of materials other than gold and silver
- Utensils made of materials other than gold and silver but are embellished with pieces of gold or silver.
- Utensils made of materials other than gold and silver but are coated with gold or silver and the gold and silver cannot be detached and separated from the actual utensil, such as gold and silver plated utensils.
Hereunder are the rulings of each type:
1) Utensils made from gold or silver cannot be used for eating or drinking at all. The hadith referred to in your query refers to this type of utensils.
2) It is permissible to use utensils made of materials other than gold and silver. Stainless steel falls under this type; hence, it will be permissible to use stainless steel utensils.
Note that some fuqaha have classified using utensils made from copper and copper alloy (such as brass and bronze) to be makrooh due to its harmful effect on the health because of copper contamination. Other fuqaha have deemed using copper and copper alloy utensils to be permissible. Therefore, the permissibility and impermissibility of using copper and copper alloy utensils will depend on whether or not it is harmful to one’s health, as it is possible that certain types of food react adversely with copper, whereas others do not. If, however, the copper or copper alloy utensil is coated with another metal/material that is not harmful to the health and that acts as a barrier between the copper and the food, then using such a utensil will be permissible without any karaaha (reprehensibility).
( رد المحتار: 9/566، كتاب الحظر والإباحة، دار المعرفة )
4) Utensils that are made of materials other than gold and silver but are coated with gold or silver and the gold and silver cannot be detached and separated from the actual utensil – such as gold and silver plated utensils – can be used even if one’s hand and mouth touches the gold and silver coating.
( الفتاوى البزازية: 2/486-487، كتاب الكراهية، السابع في اللبس، دار الكتب العلمية )
( فتاوى قاضيخان: 3/315-316، كتاب الحظر والإباحة، باب ما يكره من الثياب والحلي والزينة وما لا يكره، دار الكتب العلمية )
( الإختيار في تعليل المختار: 2/391-392، كتاب الكراهية، فصل في حكم الحرير والحلي، دار قباء )
( الهداية: 7/180-183، كتاب الكراهية، فصل في الأكل والشرب، مكتبة البشرى )
( فتاوى محموديه: 19/355-356، كتاب الحظر والإباحة، باب استعمال الذهب والفضة، ديوبند )
Mufti Faizal Riza