Can I send money to another country through Western Union for Qurbani?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by DarulUloomTT.net

Question:

MUFTI SAHIB I WOULD TO KNOW IF I CAN SEND MONEY TO ANOTHER COUNTRY THROUGH WESTERN UNION FOR QURBANI AND FOR HAJJ-E- BADAL ETC, PLEASE NOTE WESTERN UNION CHARGE YOU EXTRA ON THE AMOUNT YOU WANT TO SEND FOR INSTANCE IF YOU SEND 1000 $ US, W UNION WILL CHARGE YOU 50 US $ EXTRA FOR SENDING IT. WHAT IS THE RULE OF THE SHARIAH CONCERNING THIS? WAS-SALAM.

Answer:

Wa Alaikum As Salaam,

With respect to the extra amount that is charged by Western Union, this is a service charge and fee, and not interest. Hence, it is permissible to use this system for sending money to another country, and also pay the fees.

And Allah knows best,
Mufti Waseem Khan

18/9/2012

This answer was collected from DarulUloomTT.net, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Waseem Khan from Darul Uloom Trinidad and Tobago.

Find more answers indexed from: DarulUloomTT.net