I dont live with my husband and want a Khula

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by DarulIftaBirmingham

Answered by:  Maulana Tahsin Alam​


Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah

As a teenager, I have married abroad to my cousin, during the time I was happy with my arranged marriage. I lived with him for a week and returned to my country. After this, I have not had any intimacy or sexual intercourse with him and we do not speak at all. It’s now been four years since our marriage and I have remained here with my parents, he has never given me any income whatsoever etc.

I wish to have a khula and move on with my life, I have spoken about this many times to my parents and siblings. However, my parents refuse to let me discuss this with him and anyone else. Please tell me what I should do. I desperately want to be rid of him.


بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

If this is the case, you should ask for a divorce or khulʿa from your husband. If not you may go to any Islamic court or its equivalent and cite the aforementioned reasons and they will be able to annul your marriage if true.

Only Allah knows best

Written by Maulana Tahsin Alam

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

This answer was collected from, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.

Find more answers indexed from: DarulIftaBirmingham
Read more answers with similar topics:
Ad by Muslim Ad Network
Related QA

Pin It on Pinterest