1

Divorce Certificate Through Shariah Law Council

Answered by: Moulana Imran Mughal​

Question:

Assalamualaikum

Hi, I want to ask a question.

If a husband sends divorce to his wife in her back home country from shariah law council and on the certificate it’s mentioned that it’s a Talaaq baain (irrevocable divorce).

I heard that if the husband gives three divorces at the same time, it’s counted as one divorce, not three. I want to know that is the certificate from Shar’ee Council talaaq bain mean one divorce or does it three divorces.

Can they reunite again or not? Does the certificate by Shar’ee council mean they are separated permanently or not?

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Answer:

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

If there was no box where you had to tick how many divorces you are giving, then it will resort to your intention. If there was no intention, then one divorce will occur and the wife’s iddah will commence from then.[1] Three divorces are considered as three, they are not considered one divorce.

Only Allah knows best

Written by Moulana Imran Mughal

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

[1]Ibn Abidin, Raddul Muhtaar Ala Ad-Durr Al-Mukhtaar (Beirut: Dar Alam al-Kutub , 2003), 4:460-461.

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.