1

Would nocturnal emissions necessitate a ghusl

Prev Question
Next Question

Answered by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Question:

I have been having nocturnal emissions for the last few months. However, when I researched on IslamQA, a well-known fatwa site run by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al Munajjid, he stated that a wet dream is one in which someone dreams about intercourse, but in my case I do not dream about intercourse. I only dream about sexual thoughts (Not intercourse) such as good-looking girls, and yet still I emit semen during my sleep. So according to IslamQA, what I experience are nocturnal emissions, but not wet dreams. Do I have to do ghusl in this case

Answer:

Bismillah

A nocturnal emission is a type of orgasm, involving either erection and/or ejaculation during sleep. It has the same ruling as experiencing wet dream. Therefore, at its ejaculation, ghusl will be obligatory.

It is mentioned in Nurul Idaah that ghusl will become obligatory if the sperm discharges to the surface of the body  provided it separates from its place due to sexual arousal and not sexual intercourse. (Nurul Idaah p.54)

Only Allah Knows Best

Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.