Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Darulifta-Deoband.com » Is there a way to pay zakah on a fixed amount for five years without income?

Is there a way to pay zakah on a fixed amount for five years without income?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Darulifta-Deoband.com
For my higher study my father has fixed some amount in the bank for five years in fixed deposit scheme I want to know as this amount lie above nisab amount for which I have to pay zakah every year as I have state above the amount has fixed for five years. How can I pay zakah on this fixed amount as I am studying and I have not any income to pay zakah. Please guide me.


(Fatwa: 1025/1025/N=1433)

If your father has made you the owner of this money then zakah shall be fardh on you after passing one year and you will have to pay its zakah. If your father pays its zakah from your side with your clear permission then too zakah shall be paid. But if your father does not pay your zakah then you should take out the zakah amount from the bank and pay it. If it is not possible then pay the zakah from your pocket money or adopt any other method as per your situation.
However, if your father has not made you its owner then its zakah shall be wajib on your father as the amount of deposit shall not come into your possession merely by the intention that it was meant for you. It is imperative to note that it is unlawful and haram to have fixed deposit account with the intention of receiving interest as it is haram and unlawful.

Allah (Subhana Wa Ta’ala) knows Best

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.

Read answers with similar topics: