Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Darulifta-Deoband.com » Do you need to pay your ex-wife’s full mahr if you divorce her?

Do you need to pay your ex-wife’s full mahr if you divorce her?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Darulifta-Deoband.com
assalamualakum, i got married with my cousin without informing our family last year .after the marriege i did not find the opportunity to have seual intercourse properly .i stayed with her house for 2 weeks and then i went to a different country.after 3 months of our marriage she was asking for divorce without any proper reason.i was very upset with her and i told her i will caal her later.but since then she never contaced me ,neither i contacted her.its been a year now we dont contact each other.now my question is do i need to pay her full mahr if i divorce her? the mahr was very high and i dont have the ability to pay now.now my family wants me to marry other girl,what will i do now?


(Fatwa: 2041/1647H=1430)

If you met her in privacy anytime after Nikah, though you did not have sexual contact with her, you will have to pay full Mahr. And if you never met her in privacy and you divorced her before it, so in this condition you will have to pay half Mahr.

And if you are unable to pay the Mahr right now, you can ask for respite, and live with your present wife and behave her in good manner. If now no way expected, it is better for you not to go ahead with second nikah until you do not divorce her and clear all financial matters with her.

Allah (Subhana Wa Ta’ala) knows Best

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

This answer was collected from the official ifta website of Darul Uloom Deoband in India.

Read answers with similar topics: