Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askmufti.co.za » Going to Court to get Maintenance

Going to Court to get Maintenance

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Askmufti.co.za

Q: I have been divorced for 7 years. My daughter was 5 at the time. My ex husband hasn’t paid maintenance for our daughter in all this time. We cope most of the time however there are times when we could do with the money. I am contemplating taking him to court however I am not sure if it is Islamically correct?

A: First try other avenues; get family members to speak to him, ask your local Ulama to speak to him, etc. It they do not work, your last resort will be the court and it will be permissible.

May Allah Ta’aala make it easy for you, Aameen.

Moulana Yusuf Laher

This answer was collected from AskMufti.co.za, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Siraj Desai of Darul-Uloom Abubakr, South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: