Assalam Alaikum, Dear Respected Mufti Saheb, Some Questions about Salaat ? 1) There’s a visiting Hafiz Saab from Pakistan, the resident Imam offered him to lead Salaat. He did Qasr, and the whole congregation (about 100) has to get up to make the rest of the Salaat. Is this inconvenience OK? 2) While the visiting Imam was making Qasr Salaat for Isha, I missed 1 Rakaat (i.e. 3 in all). Am I required to recite anything in Salaat or just keep standing for some time in Qiyaam before going to Ruku (as told by my friend), in all 3 Rakaats? 3) Does a Musalleen (not a Hafiz) have preference over Hafiz (without beard) to lead Salaat? 4) While making Fajr Salaat alone, if the person is praying Sunnats and forgets and prays 4 Rakaat with one Salaam, will it be valid (like will it be regarded as 2 Sunnat’s and 2 Farz). 5) What if I pray Fatiha and a Surah in the last 2 Rakaat’s of Isha or for that matter in any Farz Salaat (forgot that I shouldn?t pray)? What’s the ruling if behind Imam and if praying alone?
1. If the Mas-ala was properly explained to the entire congregation before the Salaat, it would be OK. However, such unnecessary inconvenience should be abstained from.
2. You should perform one Rakaat without reciting anything (just standing) and thereafter sit for Tashahhud. After Tashahhud, stand and perform another Rakaat, also without any recitation and in your last Rakaat, you must recite the Qiraat. (Fataawa Mahmoodiyah vol.2 pg.267)
3. The Salaat of a person who trims or shaves his beard is Makrooh-e-Tahrimi. If there is any other person who knows basic rules of Salaat, he must be given preference.
4. No, it is not valid. Only the Sunnats will be discharged. You will have to repeat the Fardh with explicit intentions that you are performing Fardh Salaat.
5. Behind the Imaam, in any Salaat, you do not have to read at all. If by mistake you do read, its all right. The Salaat is valid. If you are alone, it is best to recite Surah Faatiha alone. However, if you also recite a Surah, the Salaat will be valid.
and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai