Here in Lusaka, Zambia we are going to have a total eclipse of the sun on the 21st of June. During the eclipse the salaatul Koosuf which we have to pray, should it be sirri (softly) or jehrri (loudly)? Please explain the method through Quraan and Hadith. Salam Alaikum.
It is Sunnah to perform two Rakaats Nafl Salaatul Kusoof in congregation.
It is also Sunnah to lengthen the Qiyaam, Rukus and Sajdah of Salaatul Kusoof. After completing the Salaat, the Imaam may make Du’aa until the sun clears in a sitting posture facing the Qiblah or standing facing the people. The latter is preferred. (Noorul Idhaah pg.122; Qadeemi)
The Qiraat in Salaatul Kusoof may be recited audibly (Jaharan).
and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
On Tuesday January 9, 2001, from approximately 8 PM till 12 PM, there will be a lunar eclipse. Lunar eclipse is when the earth is directly between the sun and the moon, and the earth’s shadow blots out the light of the sun resulting in the darkness of the moon, which shines through the reflected light of the sun.
No?maan ibn Bashir (Radhiyallahu unhu) narrates that Rasulullah Sallallahu alayhi wa Sallam said: The people of Jahiliyyah (pre-Islamic era) used to say that the solar and lunar eclipse takes place upon the death of a great person. (Mishkaat pg. 131 ? Qadimi). Rasulullah Sallallahu alayhi wa Sallam corrected this misconception and said: Solar and lunar eclipse does not take place upon the life or death of any person, but they (solar and lunar eclipse) are creations from His creation. Allah Ta’ala changes in His creation whatever He wishes. So whichever of the two (sun or moon) eclipse, perform Salaah until it (sun or moon) brightens up, or Allah Ta’ala brings forth a big matter (Qiyaamah). (Ibid.)
When solar or lunar eclipse takes place,
1) It should be regarded as a manifestation of Allah Ta’ala’s power.
2) Ponder upon the Greatness and Majesty of Allah Ta’ala.
3) Fear Qiyaamah (the Day of Judgement) being imminent and make Tauba (repent for one’s sins).
Masaa-il pertaining to Salaatul Kusoof (Salaah of Lunar eclipse)
1) It is Mustahab (desirable) to perform Salaatul Kusoof.
2) Salaatul Kusoof is performed individually.
3) Salaatul Kusoof may be performed in two rakaats or four rakaats, with one salaam or two salaams. (Raddul Mukhtaar Vol. 2 Pg. 182, H. M. Saeed)
4) One should engage in Ibaadah throughout the eclipse by either performing lengthy Salaah with long Ruku and Sajdah, or by making Dua, or by both Salaah and Dua. (Hidayah Vol. 1 pg. 176 ? Multan)
5) In Salaatul Kusoof one should recite Surahs wherein Allah Ta’ala describes the Day of Qiyaamah (ibid.)
Fatwa Department, Madrasah In?aamiyah, Camperdown
For Jamiatul Ulama Kwa Zulu Natal.