Pointing one’s feet to a person or to Qibla is disrespectful. However, I am a fat man with heavy limbs and cannot sit with folded legs for more than a few minutes.

I saw Maulana Desai’s answer to a question on the subject which says that pointing one’s feet to a person or to Qibla is disrespectful. Of course, it seems natural. However, I am a fat man with heavy limbs and cannot sit with folded legs for more than a few minutes. So very often when I have to sit in the mosque, I have to stretch my legs leaning against the wall (I have back problem too). Allah knows I have not an iota of disrespect in my heart when I do this, but it is simply not possible for me to keep my legs folded except for a very short span. Please advise. I am anxiously waiting for a reply. Jazakamullah Khair

Answer

You can overcome your difficulty by stretching your legs in another direction besides the Qiblah. If there is no alternative, then you will be excused for stretching your legs towards the Qibla.

FATWA DEPT.