Home » Shafi'i Fiqh » Darul Iftaa Jordan » Ruling on Eating Meat in Countries of the People of the Book

Ruling on Eating Meat in Countries of the People of the Book

My son studies in Ukraine. He hasn`t had meat or chicken for three years, because Christians do the slaughtering. Is it permissible for him to eat their meat and chicken?

Answer:

All perfect praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Mohammad and upon all his family and companions.

Allah has permitted Muslims to eat the meat of animals slaughtered by the People of the Book if the animals are slaughtered according to the Islamic form through a cut to the jugular vein, carotid artery and windpipe, even if Allah`s name wasn`t mentioned while slaughtering.

Some Christian countries slaughter animals according to the Islamic form while some use electric stunning. Thus, your son must ask about the method of slaughter. If it doesn`t violate the teachings of Sharia, then eating that meat is permissible.

It is worth reminding that it is permissible to eat fish regardless of the one who caught it. Similarly, it is permissible to eat eggs regardless of the chicken owner. If your son has doubts about the method used to slaughter the animals, then he may suffice with eating fish and eggs.

We pray that Allah protects your son and all Muslims from falling into sin. Indeed, He is all hearing and answers the call of those who invoke Him. And Allah the Almighty knows best.

This answer was collected from the official government Iftaa Department of Jordan.

Last Friday I made a mistake when I looked at the prayer times on the internet. The site I looked at gave two times for Esha. One time for 17 degrees (which is the view of Abu Yusuf, Imaam Muhammad, Shafi, Maalik, Ahmad bin Hanbal) and one time for 19 degrees (which is the opinion of Abu Hanifa). The mosque I go to use an even a earlier time of 15 degrees for Esha. My calendar at home uses 12 degrees. Now last Friday the time for Esha for 17 degrees was 23:10 and for 19 degrees it was 23:33 o’clock. Now when I go to the mosque for Esha I pray with the jamaat who pray at 15 degrees for Esha. But when I pray at home I used to pray at 19 degrees. So last Friday I prayed Esha with my brother at home by mistake at 17 degrees, and the next day on Saturday I prayed also on 17 degrees. I came to know this the next day on Sunday after Fajr time was expired. Now what should I do? I am not sure what to do therefore I ask you. Can I consider them valid as I prayed at 17 degrees which is valid according to all Imaams except Abu Hanifa? Or must I repeat first those two Esha and Witr prayer before I pray the current prayer of the time? If yes, what about the prayers I prayed in the meanwhile before getting your answer? Or should I wait until 6 prayers are passed over the Esha prayer I peformed at 17 degrees, then pray those two Esha and Witr prayers at any time? Or did I have to repeat those two Esha and witr prayers, then repeat the Fajr then pray the prayer that is coming i.e. Dhuhr?