If customers pay a little extra, can I keep the extra money? 

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by TheMufti.com

Q. I own a supermarket and many a times, my customers give a few rands or cents extra unknowingly to my cashiers at the till. At the end of the Month, this adds up to a large amount. Can I keep this money?

A. If it is found that the excess amount does not belong to the business and in fact, it belongs to the customers, then the customers will have to be located and the excess amount will have to be returned to them. If this is not possible, then the excess amount cannot be used or kept and will have to be dispensed of in charity.

It is not permissible to use the excess money without the permission and consent of the customers.

Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

This answer was collected from TheMufti.com, which is a fatwa portal managed by Mufti Ismaeel Bassa from South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: TheMufti.com