Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Seekersguidance.org » How Do I Rectify Things After Having Committed Major Sins?

How Do I Rectify Things After Having Committed Major Sins?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Seekersguidance.org
Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Weltch

Question 

How do I rectify things after having committed major sins?

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful and Compassionate

Never Despair

The first step in rectifying oneโ€™s state is to know that regardless of what has transpired, the doors of Allahโ€™s mercy are always open.

Allah Most High says, โ€œSay, หนO Prophet, that Allah says,หบ โ€œO My servants who have exceeded the limits against their souls! Do not lose hope in Allahโ€™s mercy, for Allah certainly forgives all sins.1 He is indeed the All-Forgiving, Most Merciful.โ€ [Qurโ€™an; 39:53]

The Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and give him peace) said, โ€œIndeed, Allah Most High extends His mercy by day for those who sinned by night to repent; and He extends His mercy by night for those who sinned by day to repent.โ€ [Ahmad]

Sincere Repentance

The second step is to make sincere repentance to Allah Most High. There is absolute certainty that oneโ€™s sincere repentance is accepted. However, in order for oneโ€™s repentance to be truly sincere, there are three conditions that must be met:

1) Sincere Remorse for oneโ€™s past sins

2) To immediately desist from doing that sin

3) To have a strong resolve never to return to that sin ever again

[Nawawi, Riyad al-Salihin]

If one did not fulfill an obligation of the religion, such as a prayer, fasting, etcโ€ฆ after it became obligatory on them, that missed action must be made up. [Ibid.]

Calculating Missed Obligations

If you are not certain of the exact number of prayers or fasts missed, you must estimate to the best of your ability. Reflect on how many Ramadans passed and how often you approximately invalidated a fast by masturbating. Once you come up with a number, as best as you could, add some extra fasts just as a step toward certainty that the amount is sufficient.

After this, designate a number of fasts that you can realistically do consistently without too much difficulty and slowly start to chip away at that number. Know that your intention and resolve to make up these fasts is a great act of worship in itself. Thereafter, each fast you make up, you are drawing nearer to Allah Most High.

Hope this helps

Allah knows best

[Shaykh] Yusuf Weltch

19529 โ€“ ุญูŽุฏู‘ูŽุซูŽู†ูŽุง ุนูŽุจู’ุฏู ุงู„ุฑู‘ูŽุญู’ู…ูŽู†ูุŒ ุญูŽุฏู‘ูŽุซูŽู†ูŽุง ุดูุนู’ุจูŽุฉูุŒ ูˆูŽุงุจู’ู†ู ุฌูŽุนู’ููŽุฑูุŒ ุฃูŽุฎู’ุจูŽุฑูŽู†ูŽุง ุดูุนู’ุจูŽุฉูุŒ ุนูŽู†ู’ ุนูŽู…ู’ุฑููˆ ุจู’ู†ู ู…ูุฑู‘ูŽุฉูŽุŒ ุนูŽู†ู’ ุฃูŽุจููŠ ุนูุจูŽูŠู’ุฏูŽุฉูŽุŒ ุนูŽู†ู’ ุฃูŽุจููŠ ู…ููˆุณูŽู‰ (1) ู‚ูŽุงู„ูŽ ุงุจู’ู†ู ุฌูŽุนู’ููŽุฑู ูููŠ ุญูŽุฏููŠุซูู‡ู: ุณูŽู…ูุนู’ุชู ุฃูŽุจูŽุง ุนูุจูŽูŠู’ุฏูŽุฉูŽ ูŠูุญูŽุฏู‘ูุซูุŒ ุนูŽู†ู’ ุฃูŽุจููŠ ู…ููˆุณูŽู‰ ู‚ูŽุงู„ูŽ: ู‚ูŽุงู„ูŽ ุฑูŽุณููˆู„ู ุงู„ู„ู‡ู ุตูŽู„ู‘ูŽู‰ ุงู„ู„ู‡ู ุนูŽู„ูŽูŠู’ู‡ู ูˆูŽุณูŽู„ู‘ูŽู…ูŽ: โ€ ุฅูู†ู‘ูŽ ุงู„ู„ู‡ูŽ ุชูŽุนูŽุงู„ูŽู‰ ูŠูŽุจู’ุณูุทู ูŠูŽุฏูŽู‡ู ุจูุงู„ู„ู‘ูŽูŠู’ู„ู ู„ููŠูŽุชููˆุจูŽ ู…ูุณููŠุกู ุงู„ู†ู‘ูŽู‡ูŽุงุฑูุŒ ูˆูŽูŠูŽุจู’ุณูุทู ูŠูŽุฏูŽู‡ู ุจูุงู„ู†ู‘ูŽู‡ูŽุงุฑู ู„ููŠูŽุชููˆุจูŽ ู…ูุณููŠุกู ุงู„ู„ู‘ูŽูŠู’ู„ู ุญูŽุชู‘ูŽู‰ ุชูŽุทู’ู„ูุนูŽ ุงู„ุดู‘ูŽู…ู’ุณู ู…ูู†ู’ ู…ูŽุบู’ุฑูุจูู‡ูŽุง โ€ (2)
โ€”โ€”โ€“
ุต295 โ€“ ู…ุณู†ุฏ ุฃุญู…ุฏ ุท ุงู„ุฑุณุงู„ุฉ โ€“ ุญุฏูŠุซ ุฃุจูŠ ู…ูˆุณู‰ ุงู„ุฃุดุนุฑูŠ

Checked and Approved by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

This answer was collected from Seekersguidance.org. It’s an online learning platform overseen by Sheikh Faraz Rabbani. All courses are free. They also have in-person classes in Canada.