Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Qibla.com » Performing umra on borrowed money.

Performing umra on borrowed money.

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Qibla.com

Answered by Sidi Atif Raza Khan

I have incurred huge debt upto $65,000 due to educational, immigration, travel, training, and other expenses on divorsed wife. Currently I donot have a job, and am living with family who have helped me with some money till I find a job. Can I use the borrowed money to perform umra?

I can also look for a job in Saudi Arabia and other gulf countries after completing my umra. I sometimes think that maybe Allah will help me find a job in Saudi Arabia or other middle east countries. The $65,000 debt will take at least 5 years to repay. Do I have to delay umra till I repay the debt completely? Or can I perform my umra now?

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Asalaamu alaykum,

One would be recommended against going on Umrah if burdened with a large debt. The Umrah itself would be legally valid if performed.

(Confirmed with Mufti Hassan Kaleem, Shariah Advisor, AlBaraka Islamic Bank)


Atif Khan


This answer was indexed from Qibla.com, which used to have a repository of Islamic Q&A answered by various scholars. The website is no longer in existence. It has now been transformed into a learning portal with paid Islamic course offering under the brand of Kiflayn.

Read answers with similar topics: