Can Men Wear Red?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Qibla.com

Answered by Shaykh Ilyas Patel

Can men wear red? I heard it is not recommended.

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

There are many ahadith which permit the wearing of red by men. The ahadith on the wearing of red by men are more authentic in chains of transmitters, than the ahadith of prohibition, except clothes, which are dyed with saffron.

Bara’a reports that, “The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) was of medium build. I saw him once in a red garment and have never seen anything beautiful than him.” (Bukhari)

Abu Hujayfa reported similarly, saying, “I saw the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) in a red garment.”

Abu Dawud related from Hilal ibn Aamir from his father, “I saw the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) giving a sermon on a camel in Mina, and he had on him a red garment.”

Imam Zafar Ahmad Usmani quotes Durr al-Muhtar withHashiya ibn Abidin:

“There is no problem in all the colours for men, except those dyed with saffron.

It is mentioned in Mujtaba, Quhastani, and Sharh Niqaya of Abu Makarim as follows: There is no problem in wearing red clothes. This indicates that the (karaha) offensiveness is slight (tanzihi)…

Allama Ibn Abidin says (wearing red clothes) has been narrated by Imam Abu Hanifa, as mentioned in Multaqat. And it shows that the karaha (offensiveness) is tanzihi, because the word ‘la ba’s’ is used generally in leaving things, which is better.” [I’la al-Sunan, Zafar Ahmad Usmani, 17.358-360)]

This answer was indexed from Qibla.com, which used to have a repository of Islamic Q&A answered by various scholars. The website is no longer in existence. It has now been transformed into a learning portal with paid Islamic course offering under the brand of Kiflayn.

Find more answers indexed from: Qibla.com