1. If I borrow a certain amount of money from a person with the intention of paying back the exact amount to my lender but the money that has been lended to me is money that has been borrowed by my lender that has agreed to pay back with riba to his lender. Can I use the money knowing this?
2. If I lend a person money but the person pays back my money from borrowing from another person with riba? Can I accept?
3. If a person gives me a gift but I doubt if the gift is bought from haraam money. Can I take it?
4. I lend someone $180 but they pay back me $200 without me asking can I keep?
1 – 2. What you have borrowed is permissible.
3. Find out from the person how he had acquired it and clear your doubt.
And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.
Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)
This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.