Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Muftionline.co.za » Husband renting a house for his ex-wife after khula

Husband renting a house for his ex-wife after khula

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za

Q: I’m 27 years old. I reverted to islam 8 years back. Alhmadulillah. After that eventually I married a Muslim man who asked me for marriage. Now it has been 6 years since I am married. My husband and I live separate in a rented house. My in laws keep visting. I do not have any children. My marriage is not going well. Since the beginning, I have been mentally and emotionally harassed by my husband and in laws in many ways. Also my husband doesn’t fulfill my basic necessities in our private life. My husband and I had many discussions over this issue, but he doesn’t change himself. Also my in laws keep taunting me since I didn’t get them any dowry during my marriage as I’m a revertee so I can’t ask anything from my parents. Since my parents are against me reverting to Islam, I have no place to go. I wanted to take khula from my husband. He is ready for it. He has agreed for the khula as he knows that the differences between us are not going to reconcile. I have agreed to give him back his mehr and he has agreed to take it and leave me. But the issue is about my shelter. As I have no place to go after getting separated from my husband, I cannot go to my parents as my imaan would be in danger. I don’t have any other support or shelter of my own, so my husband has agreed to move out of this rented house where we are living, so that I can live alone over here, being separate from him after the khula. Just as a help he is providing me this house and allowing me to continue living in the same house, but he will move away so that we can be separate and I can live alone and follow deen without difficulty. In this case, can I continue living in the same rented house alone, after taking khula from my husband? Please guide me on this issue in the light of our Islamic law. 


A: Yes.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.


Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: