- With reference to the Ahaadith, can you please inform me on what colour turbans did Nabi e wear? Can you also inform me on the Sunnah length of the turban? Is it Sahih that if you read Salaah with a turban then you receive more Thawaab from Allah?
- Can you also inform me on the different ways of disposing of Islamic literature, for example a page has the names of Allah and Nabi e on it. What are the different ways of disposing of these types of material?
الجواب حامدا و مصليا
1) After carefully studying the books of Ahadeeth and Fiqh, we have come across many traditions establishing that Nabi (S.A.W.) wore a black coloured turban.
(Tirmidhi, Page 304, Nasaai’, Page 299, Ibne Maajah, Page 256, Fataawaa Mahmoodiyah, Vol. 5, Page 109-110, Aapke Masaail Aur Unkaa Hal, Vol. 7, Page 147-148)
There are also many Ahadeeth in which Nabi (S.A.W) expressed his love for white coloured garments. (At-Targheeb-wa-Tarheeb, Vol. 3, Page 87)
2) As far as the length of the turban is concerned, it is reported that Nabi (S.A.W.) possessed two turbans, the first was approximately 3 yards ( 137.16 cm) in length and the other about 5 (228.6) yards. (Aapke Masaail Aur Unkaa Hal, Vol. 7, Page 148-147)
3) The reputable scholar Allamah Sakhaawi (R.H.) has stated in his book, Al-Maqaasidul Hasanah that the Hadith quoted in this regard is baseless. One should therefore refrain from quoting such sayings. (Al-Maqaasidul Hasanah, Page 349)
4) There are two methods which can be adopted in disposing Islamic literature. The first and preferred manner is to have it buried. The second method is to dispose of it by placing it in running water. (Ahsanul Fataawaa, Vol. 8, Page 16-17, Ad-Durrul Mukhtaar, Vol. 9, Page 605)
And Allah Ta’ala knows best
Ebrahim bin Zainul Abedeen Backus
Attested to as correct by:
Mufti Muhammad Ashraf
12 March 2005
02 Safar 1425