Fasting during the entire 10 days of Muharram

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

Is there any Hadith mentioning special rewards for fasting first ten (10) days of Muharram?

Answer

I haven’t seen any specific reward in the Hadith for this. However, in light of what I have cited below, it is understood that fasting during the first ten days of Muharram are indeed more rewarding.

1. A Hadith in Sahih Muslim explains:

‘The best fast after Ramadan is the fast of Muharram.’

(Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 1163)

2. In general, it is understood that good deeds are more rewardable during the four sacred months; Muharram being one of them.

(Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.163)

3. Several Tabi’un and other scholars have selected Muharram as the best of these four months.

(Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.79)

4. Hafiz Ibn Rajab (rahimahullah) writes:

‘The best part of the month of Muharram is the first ten days.’

(Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.79)

See here for the virtue of fasting on the tenth of Muharram specifically.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,

Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Find more answers indexed from: HadithAnswers.com