A fabrication regarding Husayn and Ibrahim (radiyallahu ‘anhuma)

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by HadithAnswers.com

What is the authenticity of the following narration?

It is stated that once Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) placed Husayn (radiyallahu ‘anhu) on his right thigh and his own son Ibrahim on his left thigh. Jibril appeared and said, “Allah will not allow you to keep them both, so choose one of them.” Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) could not bear being separated from Husayn (radiyallahu ‘anhu) so he chose him and three days later, Sayyiduna Ibrahim passed away. After this incident, whenever Husayn (radiyallahu ‘anhu) came in front of Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), he would kiss him and say, ‘Welcome to the one for whom I have sacrificed my own son’

Answer

The above is a summarized version of the incident recorded by Khatib Baghdadi (rahimahullah).

(Tarikh Baghdad, vol. 2 pg. 606)

However, Imam Daraqutni (rahimahullah) and other Hadith masters have declared the Hadith a fabrication. Hafiz Khatib Baghdadi (rahimahullah) himself has cited comments of the Muhaddithun regarding one of the discredited narrators in this chain.

The Hadith is not suitable to quote.

(Tanzihush Shari’ah, vol. 1 pg. 408)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

This answer was collected from HadithAnswers.com. The answers were either answered or checked by Moulana Haroon Abasoomar (rahimahullah) who was a Shaykhul Hadith in South Africa, or by his son, Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer (hafizahullah), who is a Hadith specialist. 

Find more answers indexed from: HadithAnswers.com