Is it OK to take a cellphone which has quran/surahs on it, to the rest room?

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Darulihsan.com

Q: These days the cellphones are equipped with mp3 players and I have one with some quran/surahs recorded on it. Most of the time I carry it within my pants pocket and obviously I keep it with me even when I go to restrooms. Is it OK to take a cellphone which has quran/surahs to the rest room. I try my best to keep it outside but there are some places that you cannot keep it outside. Similarly the pictures of Makkah and Madinah or the names of Allah are stored on the cellphone. What should we do?

A:

It is not prohibited to keep such a cellphone in one’s pocket, provided that the verses of the Quran and the pictures of holy places are not displayed in un-appropriate places such as the toilet and provided that this is done out of necessity and one’s intention is not to be disrespectful.

Mufti Shafiq Jakhura
Iftaa Department, Darul Ihsan Islamic Services Centre

I concur with the answer:
Mufti Zubair Bayat

Ameer, Darul Ihsan Islamic Services Centre

This answer was collected from DarulIhsan.com. It’s the official website of Darul Ihsan, which is an Islamic organisation (PBO) based in Durban, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: Darulihsan.com