Home » Hanafi Fiqh » DarulIftaBirmingham » How To Issue a Written Divorce?

How To Issue a Written Divorce?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by DarulIftaBirmingham

Answered by: Alimah Zakiratul Hoque


I gave my wife 3 talak yesterday verbally. I know that it’s done and not reversible. Her father wants me to issue a written talak as well. Can you guide me, on how to do that? Note, we didn’t register our marriage/Nikkah in UK court/magistrates.

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful


It should be written on something tangible (e.g., paper). It should follow the standards of writing (mentioning the name of the addresser and addressee, etc) and be signed by you (the writer) (Qawaaid Fiqhiyyah, Pg 52-53). You should clearly state that you have given a divorce. As you have already given the divorce verbally, you could add details regarding the date and time of divorce and the words you used for further clarity.

مستبينة: أي مكتوبة على شيء تظهر تثبت عليه مرسومة : أي مكتوبة بالطريقة المعتادة بين الناس ،،بأن تكون مصدرة باسم المرسل المرسل إليه المختومة أو موقعة من المرسل المتكلم أن تكون في زماننا على قرطاس لا على نحو ألواح عظام نحوها

Only Allah knows best.

Written by Alimah Zakiratul Hoque

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.

Read answers with similar topics: