Menstruation habit of 15 days.

Answered by: Moulana Tahsin Alam​

Question:

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah!

My periods normally last 15 days. For the last 5 days there’s discharge of brown.

This time after two (13th day) days I’ve seen a light muddy yellow discharge.

Should I pray?

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيْم

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Answer:

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh,

If you have a constant, habitual cycle (in your case 15 days), you should take that as your benchmark in deciding your days of menstruation and purity. You should wait till the 15 days of menses have ended completed before praying.

The following narrations comes to mind:

Imām Mālik narrates from ʿAlqama ibn Abi Alqama that his mother, the mawlā (freed slave) of A’isha, Umm al-Muminīn, said, “Women used to send little boxes to A’isha, Umm al-Muminīn, with a piece of cotton cloth in each one on which was yellowness from menstrual blood, asking her about the prayer. She said to them, ‘Do not be hasty until you see a white discharge.” By that she meant purity from menses.[1]

Only Allah knows best

Written by Moulana Tahsin Alam

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

[1] Al-Muwaṭā, Book 2, Hadith 129

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.

Find more answers indexed from: DarulIftaBirmingham