1

Abandoning Salaah Kufr

Prev Question
Next Question

Answered by Ustadha Mahdiyah Siddique

Question:

Assalaam alaikum,

I have heard a scholar saying that if a person abandons namaaz or salah he or she is a Kafir. He also said that if a person only prays during the month of Ramadaan but does not pray the rest of the year, he or she will be considered a kafir. My question is that we see many Muslims who only pray during Ramadaan, but do not pray after Ramadaan for the rest of the year.  So are they considered Kafir?

JazakAllah

Answer:

Bismillah

In response to your question; 

We should be very careful when using the term ‘Kafir’ and not just label it unto anyone.

If someone abandons Salah or any other Fardh act but still believes it to be a part of the religion then she/he is still classified as a Muslim and not said to have gone out of the fold of Islam, rather it will be said that they have committed a grave sin.

An emphasis will also be given to advise and counsel the person in question to rectify their ways and return to offering Salah. Someone who is in company of such a person should also remain cautious that this aspect of the other’s qualities does not rub off on them, as it is a well known fact that the company of an individual plays a major role in the shaping of one’s own life.

Only Allah Knows Best

Written by Ustadha Mahdiyah Siddique

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.