1

Hajj e badal for parents

Answered by Molana Eunus Ali

Question:

Assalamualaikum Mufti Sahib. I would like to know the following. My parents have passed away. They did not performed hajj although it was Fardh on both of them. Now I want to pay someone to do hajj e badal for them 1 by 1 but still I have not performed my fardh hajj. Will this hajj e badal be valid.

May Allah Ta’aala reward you in both worlds. Jazakallahu Khairan.

Answer:

Bismillah

Ibn Abbas raḍyAllāhu 'anhu (may Allāh be pleased with him)“The wife of Sinan bin Salamah Al-Juhani ordered that the question be put to the Messenger of Allah ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) about her mother who had died and had not performed Hajj; would it be good enough if she were to perform Hajj on behalf of her mother? He said: ‘Yes. If her mother owed a debt and she paid it off, would that not be good enough? Let her perform Hajj on behalf of her mother.”’ (Sunan An-Nasa’i 2633)

From the above mentioned hadith and similar narrations, it is established that it is permissiblefor a person to perform Hajj on behalf of the deceased. However, it will be makruh, if the person who will be performing the Hajj on behalf of the deceased has not performed their own Hajj.(AwjazulMasalik, Volume 7, Page 216-217, DarulQalam& Al-Bada’i As-Sana’i, Volume 3, Page 274 and 291, DarulKutubilIlmiyyah)

In conclusion, the recommended option is that the people that will be performing the Hajj on behalf of your parents have completed their own Hajj.

Only Allah Knows Best

Written by Molana Eunus Ali

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.