Home » Hanafi Fiqh » DarulIftaBirmingham » Hajj Badal on behalf of parents

Hajj Badal on behalf of parents

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by DarulIftaBirmingham

Assalamu alaikum Mufti Sahib. I would like to know the following. My parents have passed away. They did not perform hajj although it was Fardh on both of them. Is it better for me or my siblings to perform Hajj-e-badal for them once we have performed hajj ourselves or is it better to pay for a pious ‘Aalim to perform Hajj-e-badal for them? May Allah Ta’aala reward you in both worlds. Jazakallahu Khairan. Wassalamu alaikum.

In the name of Allah, the most Beneficent, the most Merciful.


Yes, it is permissible for the offspring to perform Hajj-e-Badal on behalf of their parents after their demise provided that the offspring have completed their own Fardh Hajj first. If the parents did not make a will regarding this and the offspring performed Hajj-e-Badal, Insha Allah the Hajj will be valid.

(See Mu’allim al-Hujjaaj [old print] Pg: 282)

However, it is better and advisable that the Hajj-e-badal be performed by a practising ‘Aalim who is aware of all the masaa’il and has completed his own Fardh Hajj.

(See Mu’allim al-Hujjaaj [old print] Pg: 286)

Only Allah Knows Best

Written by Mufti Abdullah al-Ma’mun

Checked and approved by Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham.

This answer was collected from DarulIftaBirmingham.co.uk, which is run under the supervision of Mufti Mohammed Tosir Miah from the United Kingdom.

Read answers with similar topics: