Supplements with Gelatine

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by Askmufti.co.za

Q: I have been diagnosed by my doctor with having a very low testosterone level (hypogonadism). I receive monthly injections to elevate the levels but the doctor has also prescribed a supplement to keep the levels elevated in between injections. The concern is that the supplements come in the form of capsules that contain gelatin. I cannot find a substitute testosterone boosting supplement. Is it permissible to consume this capsule?

A. We spoke to our pharmacist and he says that there are supplements available in tablet form (not capsule based) and free from gelatine. Please ask around your local pharmacies.

Moulana Yusuf Laher

This answer was collected from AskMufti.co.za, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Siraj Desai of Darul-Uloom Abubakr, South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: Askmufti.co.za