Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askimam.org » How am I supposed to find a pious, and more importantly, compatible person to spend the rest of my life with?

How am I supposed to find a pious, and more importantly, compatible person to spend the rest of my life with?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Askimam.org

To my understanding, pre-marital contact is restricted between the sexes. I soon intend to get married. How am I supposed to find a pious, and more importantly, compatible person to spend the rest of my life with, if I cannot interact with her and see how she interacts with others? The idea of my parents finding someone for me, even with their good intentions, seems strange because how can I accept someone whom I barely know? Everyone is ?nice, religious and pretty? but such vague descriptions carry no weight. I don’t mean it in a wrong way but it almost becomes like an outlet for legitimate sex rather than a deep meaningful relationship. Please help me.

Answer

The object is not to get to know the person that you intend to marry. Obviously, this is impossible.

You can make your own investigations about the woman’s piety, character, behaviour, etc. from various outside sources without interacting with the woman directly. This will give you a brief idea of the woman, although not the full reality which you will only come to know about after you are married to and living with her.