Can you please tell me what the ruling is with regards to money that is earned by a son, and how much the father is entitled to. Even if the father is not ill or disabled.

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by

I ask this as my Father demands money from me and then wastes it on telephone call that are long distance. I would like to save so that I can purchase a property and settle down with a wife. I am certain that the money is only spent on telephone calls and not the family as my parents are seperated and the children live with the mother. Jazakallah khair.


According to the Shari’ah, a Baaligh person (adult) has an independent right over his possessions.

He has to support his dependants, wife, children, etc. If his father is poor
and needy, he has to support him as well. If you are certain that your
father is self-sufficient and is abusing your money, you are not obliged to
support him. However, we advise you be respectful and kind to your father by
offering him voluntary assistance.

and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Original Source Link

This answer was collected from, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Ebrahim Desai from South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from:
Read more answers with similar topics: