Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Askimam.org » Do I change my sons name?

Do I change my sons name?

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Askimam.org

Assalamu alaikum…

I have been blessed with 2 sons with the grace of Allah SWT. Here is my question.

I have been blessed with my 1st son after 3 yrs of maariage after repeated Dua to Allah SWT. My parent had a niyyath of naming the child as Tameem after the name of the shahaba Tameemul Ansari . we went to Kovalam durgah and my parents made of niyyath of naming the child as Tameem.

We have named the first son with my fathers name as Abdul Kader and second child as Mohamed Tameem.

My wife want to add another name as Arshad for second child as Mohamed Arshad tameem. But my parents had the niyyath of naming the child as Mohamed tameem and not to add any other name apart from Mohamed Tameem.

 Here is my question, we have already did the naming of the second child as Mohamed Tameem. Now i need to take birth certificate , my wife is insisting on Mohamed Arshad Tameem. My parents insisting on Mohamed tameem. I dont know what to do.

I want to oblidge to my parents but at the same time wife is also very much pressurising on this subject. If I do either way, my parents or my wife will be un-happy and will be very upset . I want both my parents and wife to be happy. is there any way that i could accomodate both?. I need a sincere advise on this. 


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

We understand your predicament.

However, you also have to be sensitive to your wife as she is the mother of your child. She beared the pregnancy and now bear raising the child. Consider her feelings and include the name Arshad. In this way you would be accommodating your parents and your wife to the best of your ability.

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Huzaifah Deedat

Student Darul Iftaa
Lusaka, Zambia 

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

This answer was collected from Askimam.org, which is operated under the supervision of Mufti Ebrahim Desai from South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: