Taking items dropped from a truck load on the road

Answered according to Hanafi Fiqh by TheMufti.com

Q. If a coke or huletts truck drops its load of coke or sugar on a public road, is it permissible to take it? I have done so a few times. If not, what can I do to rectify it?

A. In the enquired case, if a truck load of coke or sugar belonging to a company fell onto a road, it is not permissible for anyone to take any amount of coke or sugar that fell onto the road as it belongs to the company, irrespective whether the truck/driver stopped to collect a portion of it or abandoned it.

Therefore, if anyone has taken any amount of sugar that fell onto the road, it must be returned to the company or be replaced. (Hindiyyah 2/289)

Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

This answer was collected from TheMufti.com, which is a fatwa portal managed by Mufti Ismaeel Bassa from South Africa.

Find more answers indexed from: TheMufti.com