Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Muftionline.co.za » Looking after one’s father

Looking after one’s father

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za

Q: I have a problem kindly guide me. Our one home is at Shiekhpura where my father and mother lived before the death of my mother. Now after the death of mother, my father lived there alone for few days. I am too worried about him and feel that I am very sinful because my father lives there alone. I asked him not to live there but he does not want to listen. I am working in Gujraat as a lecturer in physics at govt. zamindar college gujrat, so most of the time I will not be able to go there with him there. I feel very guilty and my father does not realise this. He loves to live there alone. I told him that I will get transferred there but he said no you do your job at gujrat. I feel that I am committing a sin and remain worried about him. Most of the time I feel that I am not doing his khidmat properly.  I asked my father many times to sell the house of Sheikhpura and live with me at gujrat but he does not like it. I am in very critical situation, I always feel my self guilty due to this, kindly guide me what I should do?


A: Don’t pay attention to these doubts. However, make sure that in some way or the other he is comfortable and relaxed. Perhaps, you may get some friend who is around to oversee him and see to his requirements, comforts, needs on a daily basis, and you may compensate your friend for this.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: