Home » Hanafi Fiqh » Muftionline.co.za » Wife using her right to issue a divorce

Wife using her right to issue a divorce

Answered as per Hanafi Fiqh by Muftionline.co.za

Q: Recently I found out that my husband only married me for a visa since I am a US citizen. We haven’t consummated our marriage. Also he doesn’t really love or care for me. We havent been in contact for over 6-7 months. In my nikaah, I got the right of divorce from my husband (delegated right of divorce to wife). I want to end this marriage.

1. Can I just pronounce I chose myself or I am divorcing myself from you 3x over a text and send him a notice too, will my divorce be valid?

2. Do I have to seek khula or I can just get divorce by saying it.



1. You may say to him that the right of divorce that you have transferred to me, I am exercising the right and issuing the divorce by that right.

2. When he has transferred the right to you then you do not have to go through a khula process.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

This answer was collected from MuftiOnline.co.za, where the questions have been answered by Mufti Zakaria Makada (Hafizahullah), who is currently a senior lecturer in the science of Hadith and Fiqh at Madrasah Ta’leemuddeen, Isipingo Beach, South Africa.

Read answers with similar topics: